Saturday, April 2, 2011

Contact Sheet: SOS

So, I want to do another contact sheet post for this assignment I did on a ministry called S.O.S. which does volunteer home repair in Urban areas. When I shoot, I ideally like to fill the frame with as many compositional layers as possible. I love layers because of the depth they add to an image, if done successfully. Not all layers rest on the surface, sometimes it's a look or posture of a solitary person in the shot which can say than if the image was crowded. Other times layers are a visual game of connect the dots as the eye to moves around in the frame. I don't think these images are the best examples of layers, but once again I wanted to show my visual thought process a little with an assignment and put my own editing skills under scrutiny. So, if anyone wants to, tell me which image you like the most and why. One of the problems of being a freelancer is that you are kind of left to your own devices on refining how you see. The reason the last one is in color is to show you which one I chose. Let me know if having it in color throws off you how you choose because I think I want to do more of these kinds of posts in the future.


2 comments:

Aaron said...

I think the composition of the first one is my favorite, or rather more of how I shoot. But the 4th one is by far the best. The composition isn't as clean, but the mayhem of the lines and direction of the two subjects eyes really bring the mayhem to a crescendo at the utility knife. Plus I like all the fingers in the 4th one.

Rachel said...

I like the first one because the hand in the top right draws you to the drill/screw which draws you down to the middle guy which following that line leads you to the 3rd person and then your eyes naturally flow to the back of the room into the other room in the distance.

The fourth one is great too though because you have the straight line of the razor drawing you diagonally across the picture and then the middle figure being curved in a funky position draws your eyes to the rest of the image. Plus the colors are nice.

Post a Comment